[Updated: 26th May 2012 @ 20:25 GMT]
Tranquility Base does not require any personal details from users wishing to read the comic. However, a few ancillary features require some user details to function.
Each comic episode and blog article has a comment form in which (besides the comment itself) only the a name (may be a pseudonym) and an email address are required. The email address is never displayed on the website to anybody other than the site admin. Besides the user-submitted details, we also store your IP address.
Two external services are used with the comment form. The Gravatar service only gets passed an encrypted email address. The anti-spam service Akismet gets passed all user-submitted details, plus the IP address, in order to check it for spam markers.
Any details submitted via the contact form (notably the required name and email) will be kept private and confidential.
The contact form also uses the reCAPTCHA service to prevent robot spam. This service does not have access to your name or email address.
Cookies are small text files that are stored on your computer by your internet browser. You can delete cookies at any time - consult your browser's documentation for instructions.
More details about the cookies used on Tranquility Base.
- Comment Form
- The "Remember me?" option uses a cookie to store your name, email and (if entered) website for future use. Unticking the "Remember me?" option (for ticking "Forget me?" in the blog section) next time you submit a comment also deletes the previously stored cookie.
- This cookie is also used to automatically fill-in the name and email sections of the Contact Form.
- "Save Episode" - Archive Navigation
- Saving your position in the archives will store a cookie containing the episode number to be saved. The cookie gets overwritten each time you save your position. Clicking on "Clear" will delete the cookie completely.
- Visitor Tracking/Statistics
- Tranquility Base uses Google Analytics to log visitors to the site by IP address. Tranquility Base will never use the data collected for anything other than tracking visitor numbers and referring websites. The collected data is covered by the Google privacy policies. Note: Google have provided an Opt-out Browser Add-on (Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox) to provider visitors with more choice over how data collected by Google Analytics.
Terms of Service
[Updated: 06th July 2011 @ 16:20 GMT]
- All website services and features offered by Tranquility Base are without warranty. Furthermore Tranquility Base accepts no liability or responsibility whatsoever for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or your computer system whilst linked to this website.
- Tranquility Base reserves the right at any time and from time to time to modify, suspend or discontinue any website feature (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
- Any commercial use of Tranquility Base comic by third-parties is strictly prohibited.
- Tranquility Base is not responsible for the content or policies of external websites.
- There is a separate document detailing the terms of service for using the comment feature.
Linking is allowed and encouraged (we have some banners available); however, there are a couple of points:
- Please do not link to a comic strip by directly linking to the image file or by embedding the image file in your own webpage ("hotlinking") without my permission.
- Do not copy (save/download to your computer and then upload) a comic strip to your own webserver without my permission.
You can print the comic strip for your own private use. I've even provided a "print" style sheet.
- Please do not modify the images and remove the copyright credits etc.
- For non-commercial purposes other than personal home use (e.g. in a classroom), I would appreciate an email letting me know where and to what purpose it will be used.