Episode #452: Tranquility Base, the US Remake (Part #5)
James wondered what a US TV remake of Tranquility Base would be like…
In the original Tranquility Base the gangster henchmen are both aliens like Squidman, but here they have been reduced to stereotypical-looking human gangsters. No doubt this is an example of Network interference with their silly belief that audiences won't accept too many alien-looking characters! A bit like the NBC network not liking Spock's pointy "Satanic" ears -- luckily Gene Roddenberry managed to keep the pointy ears. Besides, everybody knows it's beards that make you evil.
Unsurprisingly the network have cancelled the Tranquility Base remake; I think for once they made the right decision.
Thank you James for making these guest comics. You managed to capture the essence of US remakes - they never end well* and Tranquility Base is no exception.
Sadly, I'm now going to leave you lovely readers and go back on to hiatus (well, technically I didn't come off hiatus). Thanks for reading.
* Well, ok, sometimes it works, but I can't actually think of a good example! I'm sure it's dreadful the other way too with UK remakes of US shows (not that I can think of any examples of that happening, except for realty TV and quiz shows).
Credits & Acknowledgements
Guest episode by James Miller (Dreamers Ink).
- Panels 1-3: Back on Tranquility Base, Squidguy has some unwanted company.
- Remake!Mob Guy:
- Yo, Squidguy, da Boss wantsta sees yous.
- Yo, I just need a few more days to gets the moneys.
- Remake!Mob Guy:
- Yo, Squidguy, da Boss says, you show up now, or we sends you in to space with space cement shoes. Yo.
- Panels 4-6: We come out of the TV show and back in to the Dreamer's Ink world.
- Hey, according to Entertainment Meekly, The American version of Tranquility Base has been cancelled and replaced with more Rasslin' and Ghost Searcher shows.